Sunday, January 29, 2012

Spaghetti with Hot Dogs

I'm craving spaghetti and usually I have it with some sort of ground beef or ground pork but the ground meat is in the freezer and I do not have time to take it out to defrost. I looked in my fridge and what do I find? Hot Dogs! :) So I see a package of 6 hot dogs left and decided to use them all and make my own "Spaghetti with Hot Dogs". Many times, cooking is about substituting one thing for another. I am sure you have heard of the phrase "cooking is an art; baking is a science". It does stand true! I mean, you would have to run to the supermarket to get the baking soda you need to make that cake of yours.

So I also came across a very creative way to make Spaghetti with hot dogs, but for some odd reason, it is a little weird for me. I mean it is definitely cool but there was just something a little bit unsettling about what I came across but hey, I think this is a great idea during Halloween or for an event that involves little kids!! Still wanted to share though cause it is pretty different. :) So you basically thread uncooked spaghetti into tiny hot dogs and then cook them. 

This picture is from Very Culinary Site 


Parmesan Cheese

Of course, any pasta sauce will do.




Hot dogs, half onion, and some garlic

You can see the steam coming out from noodles. I took the picture right after serving on plate. :) Easy and Delicious!



RECIPE
Serving about 6-8

1 box thin spaghetti (1 lb)
1/2 to 1 onion, diced
5-8 garlic, diced
6 hot dogs, diced or sliced
1 bottle pasta sauce (24 oz = 1 lb 8 oz)
2 TBSP red wine
2 TBSP heavy cream (optional)
1 tsp chicken flavor powder (optional)
dash of salt and pepper
2 TBSP Parmesan cheese 

Boil a pot of water and cook pasta. Add some salt and oil to the water and stir. In a separate large skillet, heat oil on high heat and saute onion and garlic. Then add the hot dogs and stir and saute for about 3-5 minutes. Add the pasta sauce and saute for 5 minutes. The heat will release all the flavors from the pasta sauce. (I recommend always heating the sauce before putting in the cooked pasta.) Then add red wine and heavy cream (optional) to the sauce as well and let it simmer. Pour in the cooked pasta. If you have chicken flavored powder, add that along with dash of salt and pepper. Sprinkle with 2 TBSP of Parmesan cheese and serve!



No comments:

Post a Comment