Sunday, January 8, 2012

Classic Yellow Cake with Coconut Flakes

So being that it is my sister's 25th birthday, I decided to bake her some cupcakes! (This is great because I get another excuse to make something sweet). I used a classic yellow cake mix and decided to spice it up with 1/2 cup of coconut flakes to give the cake a slight coconut flavoring.

Also, when I use cake mixes, I also check the container to see if they have added pudding. As you can see on the top of the package, it states, "1 Cup of Pudding in the Mix". Since I also have a bunch of my own Jello-O brand instant puddings, I decided to use one as well. I used the vanilla flavoring. The reason for the pudding in the mix is to create a moist and homemade flavor. The pudding helps the cake retain the moisture. I find that if I just use a regular cake mix, the cake comes out more dry. I mean they are still good, just drier compared to ones with pudding added!

Yummy cupcake with shredded coconut flakes in the middle!



Feel free to substitute the instant vanilla pudding with an instant coconut pudding mix if you want more of a coconut flavoring cake.
I love frostings! Who doesn't? Remember, you can add more coconut flakes to your frosting. I didn't because look at the top of this container. It came with sprinkles that I wanted to use!
RECIPE:

1 box of Classic Yellow Cake Mix (you can use Classic White Cake Mix as well)
1 box of Vanilla Instant Pudding and Pie filling (3.4 oz)
Frosting (Vanilla)
4 eggs
1 cup water
1/3 cup oil
1/2 cup coconut flakes for cake mix (more if you want to add it to your frosting)

Combine the cake mix, pudding mix, eggs, water and oil into large bowl and using an electric mixer at low speed until combined. Then beat for another 2 minutes at medium speed. Add in the 1/2 cup of coconut flakes.

You can make 24 cupcakes (use 2 pan of 12-cupcake molds). Bake at 350 degrees for 19 minutes. When done, cool before applying frosting.

You can combine coconut flakes to the frosting and mix onto the cupcake. I didn't use anymore coconut flakes because I had sprinkles I needed to use up but feel free to add flakes to your frosting. Remember to apply the frosting AFTER the cupcake has cooled. Enjoy!! :)

So in addition to my cupcakes, my parents also got my sister a cake! It is a caramel cake from Martha's Country Bakery! Their cakes are amazing. The sweets were endless today! Definitely not complaining ;)

Happy Birthday Katie!!!!


Look at that caramel slowly dripping down the cake..Yumm!







No comments:

Post a Comment