Sunday, January 15, 2012

Honey Cinnamon Oatmeal with Toasted Walnuts and Dates

What is something bland that I can turn into something delicious? How about turning some plain oatmeal into some honey cinnamon oatmeal with walnuts and dates?

That is exactly what I decided to make for breakfast. I decided to turn boring oatmeal into crunchy, chewy, yummy breakfast. Oh! And I almost forgot to mention "healthy!" Oats are great for your heart and is one of the easiest way to fight heart disease.




If you care about good spices, Penzeys Spices is a great place to order your spices. They can ship spices straight to your home.
Any dates would work. I used these that I got from Costco! :)
I used about 6 dates and a handful of walnuts. I like to toast my walnuts before using them for anything as it gives it a toasty flavor.
Roughly chop up the dates and walnuts
RECIPE
Serving - 1 to 2

1 cup oatmeal
1 and 3/4 cups water
about 6-8 dates, roughly chopped
handful of walnuts, roughly chopped (I like to toast mine)
2 tsp cinnamon
1 TBSP honey (adjust to your taste preference)

Boil 1 and 3/4 cups of water on high heat. When the water starts to simmer, pour in the oatmeal. Cook for about 8 minutes or accordingly to direction on package on medium low heat. Add in the dates and walnuts. Cook for another minute or two. Stir well.

Let cool for a few minutes and then sprinkle the cinnamon and stir in honey at end. Do not cook with the honey as it will create sort of a sour taste.

Serve and enjoy this healthy, very simple to make, heart healthy breakfast. This is also a great source of vitamins and minerals! After this meal, you will be up and ready for the day! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment