Monday, January 16, 2012

Kim Chi Fried Rice

In college, I lived with some girlfriends of mine. When living in our apartment style housing, we had our own kitchen but in college, I actually didn't cook that much. I made very simple dishes (such as instant noodles :\) and plus, we had a campus dining card and that was what we would usually use. (I know, how lazy of us :p). However, one of my gfs would make us Korean food from time to time and we would always treasure these moments because they were kind of rare since none of us really cooked! :p

I learned this simple to make Kim Chi Fried Rice from my friend. I remember loving it and wanting more and asked her how she made it. It is indeed really easy! Not only is it easy, it tastes really good too! There is something about Korean food that I love. I also am very close to Korea Town in NYC and have tried a lot of the restaurants there as it is close to my commute to and from work.

YUMMMMY!

You can buy this or any other brand at a Korean Supermarket. Since I have to take the LIRR and am not far from Korea Town, I will drop by the supermarket there and pick up something like this.

They have other ones where they are just radishes or Kim Chi with oysters. I usually stick with just "sliced cabbage kim chi". (Oysters with Kim Chi does not sound too appealing to me). :p

 They have different flavored SPAM. Some of the different kind of SPAM include SPAM Classic, SPAM Hot & Spicy, SPAM Less Sodium, SPAM Lite, SPAM Oven Roasted Turkey, Hickory Smoked, SPAM with real Hormel Bacon, SPAM with Cheese, SPAM Black Pepper, SPAM Garlic, and SPAM Spread. I want to be more health conscious, hence getting the "LITE". Makes me feel better this way ;) Also, if you really want Kim Chi Fried Rice but do not have SPAM, you can substitute hot dogs for SPAM.

"SPAM" came from two words, "SPiced HAM."

All you need is this + 3 eggs!

Kim Chi is delicious as is!

Diced SPAM. (I gave one to my dog. Boy was he crazy about it!)

Kim Chi and SPAM


RECIPE
Serving: about 6

2 and 1/2 cups uncooked rice
1 SPAM
1 onion
1 lb kim chi
5 TBSP hot red pepper paste
3 eggs
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp salt

First cook the 2 and 1/2 cups of uncooked rice. (This is also a perfect time to use left over rice).

Dice the SPAM and onion. Roughly chop the kim chi into smaller pieces. From the 3 eggs, make scrambled eggs.

Heat 1 TBSP oil on high heat. When oil is hot, put in the diced onions and stir for about 2-3 minutes. Add in the kim chi and stir another 3-4 minutes. Then add in the SPAM. Stir that for about 3 minutes. Stir in 5 TBSP of paste with the rest of the ingredients (except the rice). Add in the salt and pepper. After mixing everything together, add the rice and mix thoroughly. You can also add the paste after the rice but I find that when heating up the paste, the heat brings out it's flavor better than mixing the paste INTO the rice. Either way works though. You can even heat up 2 TBSP first, then add remaining 2 TBSP when the rice goes in. When everything is thoroughly mixed, add in the scrambled eggs and mix or just serve egg on top.

This dish is so easy to adjust. Meaning, if you find it too spicy with the paste, add in more rice. If you find it not spicy enough, add in more paste! 

How simple is this? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment