Sunday, January 15, 2012

Cafe Con Leche - Coffee

I am addicted to coffee. I am addicted to it's caffeine but more than anything, I am addicted to it's taste and smell. Coffee has such a strong and appealing aromatic smell. The aroma of coffee actually soothes me and relaxes me but at the same time wakes me up mentally to start my day. It sounds ironic how it can wake me up and relax me at the same time but it really does. The wonders of coffee! Actually, the term "wake up and smell the coffee" really does have some truth to it. According to FoxNews, "An international group of scientists reports that inhaling the rich, warm aroma of a hot cup of joe may alter the activity of some genes in the brain, reducing the effects of sleep deprivation — no drinking required."

Recently I have been addicted to the coffee that they make in the lobby deli of my work building. My coworker told me about it and ever since then, I have been craving their coffee.

When watching the man make it, he didn't use anything other than Nescafe Instant coffee but the biggest difference in Cafe Con Leche coffee versus the usual coffee we make on a rush is that extra time that is put in to steam the milk! This added step really does make a big difference in taste. (Side Note: I am really starting to believe that Americans rush through everything (even when making their coffee!). In France (Café au lait), Italy (Cafe Latte), Spain (Cafe Con Leche), all these coffees have one similarity - carefully steamed milk. Americans seems to always be in a hurry. We would usually get black coffee and add in some cold milk or creamer and sugar for some taste).

Cafe Con Leche is a Spanish way of making coffee. The typical proportion of Cafe Con Leche is about 1/3 cup of coffee to 2/3 cup hot milk. (Having more milk than coffee). However, depending on where you go and your own preference, you can change the ratio to your own liking. I actually am not used to having too much milk in my coffee so I changed the recipe to my own liking - still deeeeelicious! :)


 

When combining the coffee into the steamed milk, it will create foams on top. You can scoop that and add to your cup of coffee!




RECIPE
Serving: 2-3

2 cups water
1 cups milk
3 tsp of instant coffee (Nescafe is what I used. You can use any coffee you want - doesn't have to be instant)
1 TBSP sugar (adjust to your liking)
Boil 2 cups of water. Add in instant coffee and stir for about one minute. Since this is instant, you do not need to cook it for long. Pour it in a separate big bowl. Clean the pot and add in 1 cup of milk and 1 TBSP of sugar (you can adjust taste later). When the milk starts to simmer (not boiling), add in the coffee. Turn the fire to medium. Stir occasionally. You should start to see foams starting to form. If you do not like the foam, scoop it up and discard. I like the foam with my coffee!

That's it. How easy right? Enjoy your Cafe Con Leche!! :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment